Choosing a Ready-Made Hotel Booking WordPress Theme
If it’s easier for you to start with the first approach, remember that many WordPress themes advertised as “hotel booking” come with a reservation form where booking submissions are sent via email. They can be pretty advanced (with check-in and check-out date forms, room types, etc.).
WordPress Themes with Reservation Forms
Paradise Cove is a great example of such a theme. The guests can search for accommodation:
Then choose one from a pretty handy listing:
And place a booking request by submitting the following form via email. Its main disadvantage is that guests cannot be sure the room is really booked, because the process should involve manual confirmation.
You should take into account that it’s a more convenient way of reservations for hotel but not for the guests. If you don’t provide automatic bookings (with payment, for example) guests might prefer to call your hotel to make a reservation.
On the other hand, modern people who are used to OTAs (online travel agencies – like TripAdvisor) want the process to be handled almost completely with tech, with minimum phone calls. Or, what if they are just introverts?
That is, hotel room reservation by email or phone is not the level of “automation” you (and travelers) are looking for. Right?
Getting back to the beautiful Paradise Cove WordPress theme: a simple property booking WordPress plugin can drive it to accept online reservations.
This reservation-via-email sort of functionality can still work just fine for travel websites, where booking a tour by email is still very popular (people love to discuss details of tours before purchasing them).
Let’s now talk about a type of a hotel WordPress theme with a property reservation engine built in. Typically these themes are primarily based on third-party property booking plugins.
For example, the Bellevue hotel booking WordPress theme that comes with different demos (a hotel, urban countryside, a beach house) and is powered by the booking plugin with WooCommerce payments:
It means this theme will let your guests add a needed accommodation to their cart and pay for it online (through PayPal, for example):
It’s a pretty straightforward automated process of accepting online bookings.
To sum up, here are the pros of the hotel WordPress themes with the booking engine implemented:
- A one-stop solution with a theme and plugin seamlessly integrated: all icons and styles of the plugin look natural in a theme design
- A money saving: in case a booking engine is a paid plugin, the theme vendors generally include it for free, so you pay for a theme only
The only limitation of this solution is that you’ll have to rely on the booking system offered by the theme. Namely, you won’t have a choice of the reservation system (of course, you can delete the initial one and install another room reservation plugin, but what’s the point of buying such a theme then?). So, you’ll need to find out additionally whether you are able to tweak the plugin’s behavior to fully meet your needs.
But if you’ve already found a good WordPress theme and just need to implement a hotel booking engine into it, read further.
You can grab any WordPress theme and turn it into a fully functional hotel website with the automated booking process. It can be either a hospitality business dedicated WordPress theme or just the one you already use and love.
For example, Villa Fortuna is a great lightweight hotel design that is easy to power with a reservation plugin (as the theme is not reservations ready):
Let’s dig deeper and see how to do that step by step with one of the most advanced WordPress reservation plugins for hotels – MotoPress Hotel booking plugin. It lets you add properties listing with all details and enable online booking (for hotels, apartments, vacation rental, hostel, etc.)
Here is the frontend piece of the apartments agency website built with this reservation plugin:
You can, by the way, test the dashboard of the plugin yourself with any preferable type of the hotel establishment: hotels, apartments, hostels or villas.
And now let’s take a look at the backend. Once the plugin is installed and activated, 2 menus should appear: Accommodation and Bookings. Then follow these easy steps:
1. Add different types of seasonal pricing: these can be different dates or days (Christmas, summer 2018, etc.). These are the dates you are sure the pricing for them should differ.
2. Add extra hotel services or packages: free or paid (baby sitting, parking, etc.). You need to do it beforehand to be able to further include the available services to different accommodation types. You may add a service description, a featured image, price and periodicity. Guests can book them when placing a booking request. This is optionally, of course.
3. Add accommodation types: each of them can be supplied with a description, categories, amenities, photo gallery:
Accommodation’s capacity (adults, children, size), view, bed types, and services can be also featured:
4. Add rates: different prices for the same accommodation type depending on a number of benefits (e.g. refundable and non-refundable):
5. Create all system pages with shortcodes available in the admin panel: Search Results, Search Availability, Complete Booking, Booking Confirmation, Booking Cancellation pages:
6. Configure major settings:
- Set parameters for displaying accommodation types (currency, currency position, date format, check-in and check-out time, etc.)
- Add bed types available in your hotel establishment
- Set the period of time to show the lowest price for – if guests don’t set check-in and check-out dates, the’ll see the cheapest accommodation for the period of time you set
- Enable/disable the search form to recommend the best set of accommodations according to a number of guests (this is a great option to allow one guest to add multiple accommodations into one reservation)
- Enable/disable online booking
- Set confirmation mode: by customer via email, by admin manually or automatic confirmation on payment
- Set maximum accommodation occupancy in the search form (it’s not limited because the plugin supports multiple accommodations booking at a time)
- Check/uncheck an images gallery lightbox
- Choose a theme for the Search availability calendar (e.g. Light coral, Dark red) – it should dovetail nicely into any WordPress theme
7. Customize admin and customer email templates (using macros):
8. Set global and custom booking rules (minimum and maximum days to stay; check-in and check-out dates; or block the dates):
9. Turn on/off payment gateways and configure payment settings (test payments, PayPal, 2Checkout, Stripe, Braintree, Beanstream/Bambora): full or deposit price to pay, deposit type (fixed or percent), choose system pages and default payment gateway to display on the checkout page.
10. Change language settings (if needed): as the plugin is available in 14 languages, you may set the needed one or customize texts of the plugin with any WordPress translation program.
The plugin also lets you generate coupons if you want to provide your travelers with discounts:
The booking process is pretty easy – guests provide personal details, choose rates, services and the payment method (if you turn it on):
All the bookings are stored in the admin dashboard:
If the customers pay after arrival, a hotel manager can add the payment manually:
As you might see, it’s pretty easy to create a complete hotel website with online reservations even without technical skills. Just grab your favourite WordPress theme and follow the described steps.